promote core British Values through our teaching, our community links and
through our mission and aims; these values are crucial in preparing our students for life
in Modern Britain. Ways in which we promote British Values include:
- A thriving Student Council.
- Students are given the opportunity to take part in mock-elections to understand more about the British political system and democratic process.
Speech and the Rule of Law
- Debates in the classroom.
- Very close links with the local police and Catterick Garrison Military base.
Rights, Individual Liberty, Equality Tolerance and Mutual Respect
- PSHCE curriculum.
- Our assembly/tutor time programme encourages mutual respect for and tolerance of those with different faiths and beliefs and for those without faith. Themes include International Days of, Peace, Anti Slavery, Holocaust Victims, Racial Discrimination, Children of Victims of Violence, Public Service and Cultural Diversity.
- We 'actively promote' fundamental British values and challenge any opinions or behaviours that would undermine these values (for further information please see our Prevent Policy).
- Stonewall School Champion. As a school we are committed to:
- Tackling homophobic, biphobic and transphobic bullying.
- Making school a place where all pupils and staff - including lesbian, gay, bisexual and trans people - are accepted without exception.
- Championing diversity and celebrating difference.
- We have a Positive Allies - Level 1 accreditation recognising that as a school we are friendly toward, and inclusive of, people living with HIV and that we actively challenge HIV stigma. Level 1 accreditation valid until June 2020.
At Risedale we actively encourage and work with our students creating opportunities for them to make a positive difference to the society in which they live. We do this by helping them develop knowledge, skills and confidence.
- Charity Work and Fundraising: We support many local and national charities including; 'The Bridge' Catterick Garrison (was St. John's Community Centre), Red Nose Day/ Sport Relief, World Book Day, Children in Need, Save the Children's 'Christmas Jumper Day', Jeans for Genes, Macmillan Cancer Support 'World's Biggest Coffee Morning'.
- Signatory of the Armed Forces Covenant - renewed April 2017.
- Local churches are involved in our assembly programme.
- Head Prefect / Deputy and Prefect team.
- The Hub - a FREE space that offers facilities and outreach projects to bring our community together; a space where students, parents/carers, families, teachers and community workers can connect; a space to nurture and develop skills and gain confidence to move onto the next steps in school and life.
- Risedale is the base for the newest Volunteer Police Cadet unit in North Yorkshire.
- Our students represent the school at county and national level for sport.
- Our students take part in the Duke of Edinburgh's Award programme.
- Outside agencies and clubs are able to use Risedale's facilities for after school activities and community work eg. Sports Facilities, Police Cadets, and The Hub.